Friday 26 December 2014

Old school books and brand new brushes

Hello all! I hope you each had a wonderful Christmas and Santa brought you what you wanted.
For once I was able to escape without adding to the lead pile. That doesn't mean I there was nothing gaming related under the tree however, just that it doesn't require painting...

This year I was lucky enough to score three new items for my classic wargaming book collection, including a copy of Sham-battle - How to Play with Toy Soldiers by Lieut. Harry G. Dowdall and Joseph H. Gleason. Its in in really good nick and I'm pretty excited about this one as it is a 1929 first edition with a really solid binding, very little foxing and is generally in tip-top shape for something this old and rare.

Alongside that I also picked up a couple of "stocking fillers" which are very generalist and which I really only want to complete holes in the collection as they don't contain much of anything revolutionary in terms of gaming lore. Its still great to have them none-the-less and so A Guide to Wargaming by George Gush & Andrew Finch and Beginner's Guide to Wargaming by Bruce Quarrie have both been added to the catalogue now, bring the collection to a total of 59 books now.


In addition to those I was also gifted a box of a dozen new A.J. Leeman Hobbies 2/0 brushes which are my go-to for about 80% of my painting. I absolutely love these things and despite my best efforts to care form them I go through roughly one a month. My FLGS has been bought out recently (sad face) and they are not stocking these any more I don't believe. Thankfully this should keep me in brushes for a good year or so.

That's all from me today. Hopefully Curt will post my next two challenge entries some time today so I can show them off here sooner rather than later!

Cheers,
Millsy

13 comments :

  1. Nice haul for Christmas! Definately nice additions to your book collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of Sham battle. What a great addition to the book collection. Have a very enjoyable Xmas break Millsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice additions to the collection. Not heard of Sham Battle either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fine Christmas haul Millsy,

    my main present was AB charging Prussian cavalry, 2 regiments. I was quite happy to see the lead pile grow a little. I have a very kind wife!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas! Also, nice finds with those books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make "escaping without adding to the lead pile" as a good thing. Quite a rarity to find an original Sham-Battle in very good shape. I need to look through your vintage wargaming collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice haul there, Millsy! Looking forward to seeing the collection when I next visit - see you then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find with Sham-Battle! I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great haul! Love that Gush/Finch book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent festive haul, there, Millsy! I have never heard of "Sham Battle", so that is a really good fine. Enjoy Boxing Day and the run up to a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting additions there Millsy... Do you find you go through more brushes cause you em in stock? I do something similar and try to have spares!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...